Tuesday 18 May 2021

The amazing strength of plants....

We've all heard the horror stories of Japanese Knotweed, working its way through concrete: we've all seen tiny little weeds pushing their way through tarmac: so really, we shouldn't be surprised at the sheer strength of plants.

And yet, it still seems wonderful, when I find something like this:

Isn't that amazing?

The new buds have come out so strongly, that they have actually pushed off a flap of old bark!

The bark is still firmly attached at the top and the bottom, and was under a considerable amount of tension from the shoot, pushing it outwards.

As I want these new shoots - more details to follow in a while - I cut off the now-loose flap of old bark, so that the shoots could continue to grow and develop.

But I'm pretty impressed!





 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....