Thursday 1 April 2021

The Downpipe of Doom!

 You know that someone really, really loves their Wisteria...

...when they do this:



Isn't that hilarious?  Four right-angle bends, and a vertical section hanging in mid-air, all to get the downpipe past the immense Wisteria stems.

Here's a closer look at what they did: can you see, there's a very stout bracket, which is taking the weight of the stems: every window on the ground floor has two of these brackets, one to each side, and all painted black, to blend in.

As a gardener, I completely admire their dedication to the plant.

Presumably this is one of the sights of south Oxfordshire, when it flowers, so they didn't want to take the other, more obvious course, ie chop down the Wisteria, and let it grow again. 

(And yes, I will be going back that way as often as I can, over the next few weeks, to check on progress!)

The easier, but drastic, option, would have given them a chance to check all the window lintels, to check the fabric of the building for damage and damp: and they wouldn't have had to install this Heath-robinson contraption, which presumably clogs up in at last two places, and probably has to be cleaned out and emptied, twice a year.

But it would have meant a whole season, maybe two, with no flowers.

And this, dear Reader, is why I never allow Wisteria in my charge to grow behind a downpipe!

 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....