Tuesday 30 March 2021

Cercis: the seed pods of Doom!

This is what, as a gardener, you might call "a nuisance just waiting to happen"

 

Cercis siliquastrum still holding those darned seed pods!

What, exactly, are we looking at?

It's a Cercis, siliquastrum, a small flowering tree, which is still, despite the tremendous winds and bluster we've had this month, holding on to about a thousand seed pods.

Yes, those blackened, dangling things are the seed pods of this tree, looking rather like mange-tout on steroids, but far less appetising.

In summer, this tree looks like this:


Fabulous, isn't it? 

The trouble is, that every single one of those beautiful pink blossoms will, in time, turn into one of the blackened mange-tout-from-hell pods... which will then hang about on the tree for month after month, gradually falling onto the area below.

I've tried shaking the tree (couldn't budge it), I've tried poking at them with my extending spring rake (virtually no impact - maybe one or two fell) but they are firmly stuck up there, haunting me, taunting me, threatening me: "We're going to faaaalllllllll!"  "We're going to wait until you've raked up every last one of us from the grass and from the beds and then we're going to faaaaaaalllll!"  and - worst of all - "We're going to faaaaaalllll - but no more than thirty at a time! Yah boo sucks!"

I have a feeling that I'm going to be clearing them up for months.... and months....


Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....