Wednesday 2 March 2016

Auriculas - time to tidy them up for spring!

I've just written a short article about the early spring tidy-up for Auriculas, you can read it here, at GreenPlantSwap (a great place for swapping plant info as well as plants!) and if you have any of these in your garden, now is the time to get out there and tidy them up.

Last  year's leaves are all slimy and brown now:

..as you can see (left).

Here's a close-up of one of the shoots - you can see clearly all those dead brown leaves.

They are not doing any good at all - they are not protecting the new leaves from frost or damage, all they are doing is providing a nice hiding place for slugs and other nasties, while also providing them with a mid-snooze snack.

So out come the scissors!

Snip!


There, much better!




And here is the finished article: all old brown leaves removed, any weeds etc ejected, pots all top-dressed with compost nuts to keep the weeds at bay, and to make them look fresh and clean for the spring.

They should be starting to flower in April - weather permitting, ha ha - and they will be for sale then, as I like to sell them when they are actually flowering, so people know what they are getting.

To buy these plants, or to see all of my plant listings, send me an email, and I'll respond with details of plants for sale.

 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....