Wednesday 18 May 2022

Common Spotted Orchid - first signs

Here they come!

The Common Spotted Orchids are on their way up again - this is always such an exciting time, when tiny new sprouts appear, isn't it? 

I'm lucky enough to have a friend who, a few years ago, let me collect seed from the orchids in their grounds, and ever since then I have been growing them on for sale, and it's turning into quite a nice, if rather small, little business. 

I have a very select customer list (that is sales jargon for "small") of wildflower meadow enthusiasts who come to me each year to buy more, slowly building up their meadows, which is the best way to do it.

It takes 2-3 years for them to get to flowering size, so there's quite a pay-delay in growing these little fellas, but I think it's worth it.

I love the idea that now, in a very small way, I am helping to restore wildflower meadows, by selling responsibly-sourced-seed-grown plants - I'm sure you all know that pinching wildflowers from the wild is a definite no-no, in fact it's against the law, so it's good to be able to encourage people to do it properly, and to make a little money along the way! 


Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....