Friday 5 February 2021

Who said that Nature does not produce straight lines?

 Exhibit A, m'lud:


A stem of common or garden Mint - Mentha spicata. This is the one you probably have growing in your garden - the one that you are advised to grow in a pot, or with a barrier around it, to stop it taking over your entire garden.

What shape would you call that stem?  Square. Definitely square. Not square-ish, Nice flat sides, sharp crisp corners - it's square.

I think this definitely proves that nature does, indeed, from time to time, produce straight lines!




Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

2 comments:

  1. Tradition has it that dried yarrow stems are used for divining the future. (The I Ching tradition that is.) This is precisely because they grow long and straight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that so? Good to know that Yarrow actually has a function, other than ruining lawns!

      Mind you, there's a difference between something that "usually" grows straight (and, are they straight enough to use as, for example, a ruler? I think not!!) and something that always grows geometrically square.

      *throws Yarrow stalks onto desk: ah yes, today will be light: until nighttime, when it will gradually become dark.*

      Delete

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....