Wednesday 11 January 2012

Five, Six, Pick Up Sticks

That's what it's been like, for my first few days back at work: clearing up the mess from the storms we had last week.

Here's a typical barrow-full: this time from the Weeping Ash that throws itself merrily at the ground in any sort of wind.  In order to get as much as possible in each load - in this garden, the bonfire heap is a quarter of a mile away, and uphill at that - I have also performed Seven, Eight, Lay Them Straight, as you can see.


Sometimes I think "oh dear, poor trees, all battered by the wind" but then when you look closely at what comes down, so much of it is already dead that I wonder if I should be celebrating on behalf of the trees, rather than pitying them: perhaps they are flinging their newly-lightened boughs around in glee, shouting to each other "Yay! Got rid of that mass of horrible dead stuff at long last! How about you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....