Friday 20 October 2023

Willowherbs: Weeds which might, actually, have a use!

Well, I never thought I would say these words, but the other day I found a Willowherb which was, for once, more than just a weed.

Here it is:

Can you see all those scoopy round holes in the leaves?

Those are from Leaf Cutter Bees, a subject about which I have written, some years back: solitary bees who replicate by burying their eggs individually, inside tidy little cocoons made from circles cut from leaves: each egg gets a store of pollen, and a secure little pod in which to grow and develop, safe from predators.

Previously, I have noticed this damage mostly on Rose leaves: occasionally on other garden plants, but mostly on Roses.

So it was quite a surprise to find a nasty old Willowherb showing the same holes in the leaves.

Alas, this damage is only cosmetic and does not harm the plant, so I had to weed out the Willowherb anyway... but it's nice to know that someone finds them useful!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....