Friday 4 March 2022

Wood chip mulch - see, told you bulbs would push through it!

Oh ye of little faith!

Recently, I wrote about the joys of wood chip mulch, a product with which I am now intimately familiar, as I now work alongside an arborist for part of the week, and these days I am finding wood chippings in my boots, in my hair, and down my non-existent cleavage.

When, oh when, is someone going to invent the bra strainer???

Moving on....

In the article mentioned above, I commented "Don't worry about bulbs, they will push right up through the mulch with no problem." and I received a question ("Hi, J!") asking if this was actually true.

Of course it's true! (*indignantly*) I wouldn't lie to you!!

Here - left - is a bunch of Daffodils, merrily pushing the wood chip aside for themselves.

One clump of many, I should say, and quite a deep mulch. 

I think that the key factor is that wood chip is "big pieces" so they don't pack down into a hard crust or shell - they stay loose, so that the leaves can push their way through with ease.


And just to show that it's not just the Daffodils which can do it, here - right - are a bunch of Arum lilies (Arum maculatum, also known as Jack in the Pulpit, Lords and Ladies, or Waggling Willies) which are soft and tender, also pushing their way up through the wood chip mulch.

With no problem at all.

So there you go, proof that bulbs can easily push their way up through a deep layer of wood chip mulch.

And the birds love it!


Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....