Monday 14 March 2022

How to smarten up your garden in ten minutes:

Honestly, I have said this before, and I will no doubt say it again, but edging your beds and borders is the single quickest, easiest way to make your garden look smart.

Here's a nice example: it's a big bed, which is looking a bit sad and bedraggled after the winter.

Things are just starting to show green again - that's a mass of Helenium at the back - but by and large, it is not really a sight to warm the heart. (With apologies to the owners, who are, unlike this bed, indeed a sight to warm the heart - lovely people!)

So out come the edgers, and round I go, clipping the edge. I did the little island bed as well, while I was at it.


Lo! And behold!

Doesn't that look better?

Not only does it make the entire garden look smarter, but when the grass starts to grow, which it will be doing shortly, it will be much easier for the mower to cut neatly right up to the beds, with none of that panicky edge-of-the-world stuff, where one wheel of the mower suddenly disappears down into the bed, leaving a horrible scalped patch for months on end.

Instead, they can whizz round at top speed, safe in the knowledge that they can see where they are going.

And it only took a few minutes to do!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....