Friday, 24 July 2026

Poppies: Off With Their Heads!

 Yes, it's that time again: we have enjoyed the beautiful flamboyant Opium Poppies - Papavar somniferum:



 

... but they have had their day, and now they are over, it's time to remove them.

As they are annuals, there is no point in keeping any of the "plant" part: they won't grow back from that root, next year. But they set seed very generously, so you are pretty much guaranteed to have them in your garden for evermore, even if you don't specifically try!

I usually cut them back as soon as the foliage starts to look tatty, and usually the garden owner will tell me that they want to keep the seeds, so I ask for a paper bag, and go round looking for the ones which are ripe.

How do I tell?

To see the rest of this article, please hop over to Patreon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take around 2 days to appear: please be patient. Excessive SPAM has forced me to restrict comments to just Members: if you have a question, you can become a Member: or you can hop over to Patreon and join me there: or you can email me direct - my email address is in the right-hand pane. Sorry about this, but honestly, the spam! I'm drowning in it!!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.