Friday 6 January 2023

The power of Daffodils!

I never cease to be amazed at the "strength" of plants - and not just the obvious strength of something like Japanese Knotweed invading a house,  or a mighty tree pushing aside fences and walls, in slow motion: no, I'm amazed at smaller things, for instance the way a tiny weed will push its way up through tarmac. Or the way that spring bulbs will manage to find a way up through almost any obstacle.

This morning, checking over my pots of bulbs, I noticed this:


"Huh!" I thought, "Have those darned squirrels been digging in my pots again?" *grumbles under breath*

But when I looked closer...


 

I'm not sure if you can see it clearly in this photo, right, but the entire top couple of inches of the soil has been  lifted up like a crusty lid. 

All done by the daffodil shoots!

How amazing is that?

It's like something from a cartoon, where lots of tiny creatures all heave together, and lift something huge.


 

 I've also found daffodils shouldering their way up through a pile of bricks - left - which the careless garden owner had left in a pile on the border.

When I lifted the bricks, I found that not one single daffodil had been "killed" , every single one had found a way up through the bricks, even if it meant having to go sideways a bit before pushing themselves onwards and upwards. 

Moral of the story - plants are amazing!




Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....