Wednesday 31 August 2022

Nodules on an old Hazel tree...what on earth are they?

The other day, I was removing root suckers from a very old Hazel (Corylus avellana) and I noticed these:

No, I have no idea what they are.

They appear to be hard, round, nodules: about the size of garden peas, and scattered all along the base of the tree, where the base flares out.

I've never seen anything like this before, and a cursory internet search ("nodules on hazel tree" "hazel bark galls") didn't throw up any images of anything similar.

So they don't appear to be galls (which I would normally expect on leaves, not on bark, anyway), and they're not burrs, either.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below, to email me direct - address at the top of the page, in the right-hand column - or to send me the answer on a postcard!!!




Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....