Tuesday 8 February 2022

Fasciation: in roses, again!

Last year was a good year for fasciation, in the sense that I found quite a few examples of it, in the gardens in and around where I live.

I don't see anything sinister about this: rather, I think it's the kind of thing that you start to notice, once you start looking out for it. It's all around us, all the time, but mostly we just don't look for it.

This one is actually from the tail end of last year, oops, I didn't get around to filing all my photos, and this one was overlooked...

There you go - isn't that weird? 

("At least!")

It's a Rose - or, should I say, it's supposed to be a Rose, a perfectly normal (if somewhat lax) David Austin shrub rose, which normally produces single flowers.

This time, it produced a wild, mutant cluster! 

I know it looks like something out of a strangely botanical horror-mutation film, but it's purely cosmetic, and is perfectly harmless to the plant.

It may never happen again, to that particular plant: it's not infectious, and it doesn't do the plant any harm at all.

It just looks weird!
 

 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....