Monday 27 February 2023

Snowdrops - time to enjoy them.

I'm always writing about Snowdrops, among other things - and occasionally, it's nice to just stop and admire them.


There! 

Isn't that lovely?

Particularly nice, I thought, with the pale winter sun making bold shadows of the trees.

These were all Galanthus nivalis, which is what you might call "common snowdrop", as it's the one you are most likely to find while out walking, ie not in someone's cultivated garden.

There are only three species of Galanthus which you would encounter in the wild, as it were: these ones, G. nivalis (which always makes me think of Nivea), G. plicata, and G. elwesii.

If you'd like to know the difference, you can't do much better than to download my Field Guide on the subject:


 ...and if you have Kindle Unlimited, it's free!

Free!

All that work, for free!

(and if you don't have Kindle Unlimited, it's only a couple of quid, go on, buy it, go on, go on!)

I love the way that we can only have Snowdrops now, in late winter: unlike buying out-of-season fruit and veg all year round in the supermarket, we can only admire these delicate beauties on their own terms.

And it always lifts my spirits, because whenever you see a drift of "wild" snowdrops, out there in woodland, or alongside footpaths, or on verges: always, there is the thought that someone, some day, planted the original clump, and then left them there to multiply, so that everyone walking past can enjoy them.

Community spirit, at its best!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....