Monday 20 February 2023

Early spring Primrose tidying

It's spring! (well, nearly...) 

The daffodils are shooting up, the snowdrops are already doing their thing, and what about the Primroses?

Yes, they are now flowering, but in many gardens they are not looking their best because they still have a frill of last year's leaves, which are now very large, very brown, and rather ugly. 

Like this lot - left.

So is it time to get out there and rip them all off? 

Yes! 

Except that instead of ripping them off, just snip them off, as close to the base of the plant as you can get, with either secateurs or scissors. 

Why snip, not rip?

Because each leaf has a tough fibrous midrib, and if you just pull off the leaves, you will leave behind the stringy central ribs, which look dreadful, and make a mockery of the time you spent in pulling them off....  so, out with the scissors, or sharp secateurs, and off you go!

Does this seem like a bit of a faff? 

Well, yes, but the results are well worth it: getting rid of all the ugly old leaves shows off the flowers to their best advantage, against a background of nice fresh green leaves: and often, removing the long old leaves will reveal a small border of bare soil (where the weeds have been suppressed by the dying leaves) - right - which makes the flowers stand out even more clearly.

Also, dead and dying leaves are a sort of running buffet for slugs and snails, not to mention being perfect hiding places from predators - and although all of nature is wonderful (I am rolling my eyes as I say it), there are some aspects of nature which simply don't need feeding or encouraging!

This is a nice, simple quick job, to encourage you to get out in your garden and enjoy some fresh, so I hope you are now inspired to go round your garden, snipping and neatening!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....