Saturday 3 October 2015

Cherry tree with damaged bark

How's this for a triumph of nature over adversity?

I saw this poor cherry tree earlier this year - which you can tell, obviously, as it is covered in spring blossom - and was so astonished at the damaged bark that I just had to stop and take a photo of it.

Incredible, isn't it?

The bark has opened up more than half-way around the trunk, and I honestly can't see what is keeping this tree alive, but I assure you that it is still in full leaf today, first week in October.

Cherry trees are not particularly long-lived:  20 to 30 years for ornamental or flowering cherries seems to be about what you can expect.

And, as ornamental cherries go, this one is fairly substantial, so I suppose it might be nearing the end of its lifespan.

Will it survive another winter?

Will it flower again next spring?

I guess we will have to wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....