Friday 3 November 2023

Architectural oddities: the wall-eating outhouse

I often come across odd things in "my" gardens, and this one always makes me smile.

It's a small outbuilding, which appears to have a section of old walling erupting from it, in "Alien" chest-burster fashion.

This has lead to many minutes of happy speculation, while I've been weeding or working around it: it's clear that the back wall of the brick outbuilding, the face on the right, is stone, rather than brick.

So there must have been a stone building there, and the red brick was added on, using the existing wall as one of its four walls. 

But did the stone building continue to our left? Or was it abutting an older stone wall - judging by the size of the stones projecting, which would appear to be larger than the stones used in the wall.

Was there originally a massive old wall, which then had a stone building attached to it, which then had the red brick outhouse built onto it, but then the original wall fell down?

Or maybe the original wall formed part of the stone building, but when the stone building was taken down - all apart from this one wall, which was by then part of the red brick outhouse - the wall was removed as well, but they found they couldn't get it all out without destroying the outhouse.

You think they would have tried to make a slightly neater job of it, either way. I don't suppose I will ever know, because the current owner has no information about it.

So the remaining question is:

Is this a wall-eating building?

Or a wall, eating a building?




Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....