Friday 16 June 2023

Box Moth Caterpillar: How to spot it: How to deal with it

Firstly, what is it? 

It's a "new" pest which is affecting our beloved Box hedges and topiary: it's as destructive as Blight, it spreads as quickly as Blight, and it's working across the UK, as I can tell by the increasing numbers of questions I am receiving on this topic. 

It was introduced to the UK in 2008 - accidentally, we assume - and I encountered it for the first time in Oxfordshire in 2022, and I'm seeing a steady increase in the incidence of the damage, which looks like this:



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the name suggests, it's the caterpillar of a moth which is doing all the damage, so it's a flying pest, which explains how it has spread so rapidly. And, as it's an introduction to the UK, there's nothing here that eats it: hence the fast spread, and the sheer amount of damage it can do.

So let's take a look at it....

 

 

To see the rest of this article, please hop over to Patreon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....