Saturday 4 June 2022

Gigantic ivy stems

I've written about ivy, many times, ("many, many times...." as Betty Marsden used to say) (and no, I'm not old enough to remember Round the Horne, but I was given some audio cds, years ago, and I am now word perfect...) but this one is, I think, worth sharing with you.

 

There.

What more do you need me to say?

What a whopper, eh?!

With pruning saw and secateurs for scale, this has to be one of the largest ivy plants I have ever encountered: it has multiple stems, each of which are larger than any normal ivy plant.

How old it is? 

I have no idea, because ivy doesn't have annual growth rings, in the way that trees do, so there is no way to accurately judge the age of the plant.

Probably a considerable number of years, I would have thought.... and it is adjacent to water, so the growing conditions are possibly nearly perfect?

Whatever the reason, is that not the biggest ivy root/stem you have ever seen!


Did you enjoy this (brief!) article? Did you find it useful? (probably not...) Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....