Tuesday 25 January 2022

A novel torture device for the garden...

How's this for an unusual garden feature: 

...it looks like a medieval torture device for plant pots, doesn't it? Apparently these short towers of metal, with spiked rings, are vintage bottle drying racks, used in the wine industry, and probably French in origin.

However, they make perfect terracotta pot drying racks - or possibly, the biggest earwig-catcher I have ever seen.

“Earwig-catcher?” I hear you say, in confused tones. 

Yes, in case you haven't heard of that gardening trick, if you stuff a small plant-pot with straw or dead grass, then hang it upside down on a garden cane, pushed firmly into the ground, your earwig population will climb the cane and set up home in the straw, allowing you to dispose of them en masse from time to time.

I don't think this rack is being used to catch earwigs, but it certainly is a novel and decorative way to store small terracotta pots without them crushing each other.

And I suppose that if you wash out your pots, as we are all supposed to do, then it does indeed make a perfect drying rack for them.

Has anyone else come across something being, er, what's the trendy word, “upcycled” into use in the garden? 

 

 

Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....