Friday 18 June 2021

Fasciation in Roses

I am utterly fascinated by fasciation!

If you don't know what this is, it's a naturally-occurring phenomenon, where a plant mutates: usually in the stem, but sometimes in the flower.

The commonest manifestation of this mutation is flattened stems: or, when flowers are involved, strange compound flowers, often weirdly distorted. I've written about stem distortion  already: and then I found it on Buddleia, and then, even on Bindweed!

It's completely harmless, non-infectious, cosmetic only: but weird and wonderful, to see.

Last week, I found it in a rose!! Here it is:

You can see that the flower also has a number of little tiny buds, within the centre of the flower!

How weird is that?

I'm not sure if the little buds would actually open into miniature flowers, but I'll keep an eye on the plant, and if I can catch it at just the right moment, I'll add photos to this post.

Just bear in mind that I'm only in this particular garden once a week, so I might miss it!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....