Wednesday 16 October 2019

Shasta daisy propagation - the natural way

I'd never seen this before - the Shasta daisies (Leucanthemum × superbum) are so sodden, with all the rain we've had this month, that they are actually sprouting!!

Due to a combination of the recent wet weather, and me having a ton of other stuff to do in this particular garden, they didn't get dead-headed, something I normally do with alacrity (and secateurs) in order to prevent excessive self-seeding.

These garden plants are, of course, related to that well-know "wildflower" thug, Leucanthemum vulgare, famous for taking over many attempted wildflower meadows by smothering all the dainty little wildflowers with their tough, coarse basal rosettes... not that I'm biased of course, I just don't like them.

And like the "wildflower" thug relation, they seed everywhere.

So normally, I dead-head at the first sign of a browning flower: and occasionally, you do actually get a second flush of smaller flowers.

Not this year!

I didn't do the dead-heading, and now the flower-heads are dead, blackened, and absolutely sodden.

And as you can see, they appear to be sprouting...

So they are definitely not going on the compost heap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....