Friday 19 February 2016

Tulips in the Frost

It's too darn cold to work today, so instead I thought I'd present you with a couple of close ups of plants in the frost:

Firstly, here are my Tulips: just beginning, no buds yet (and a good thing too, it's 5 below today and they would not enjoy it)



Doesn't this one look rather like a baby bird, demanding food?





Here is a Pulsatilla vulgaris, or Pasque Flower, leaf: every tiny hair is covered with frost.

This is one of favourite plants, Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens', which is a lot of name for a little plant: it's commonly known as LilyTurf, or Black Mondo, as the foliage is deep, deep black.

Wasted when planted in a border, but stunning when underpinned with gravel, or something light-coloured.

But today - it's white!



Even the weeds look cute - take this tiny seedling of Hairy Bittercress, it looks as though it's been dipped in sugar!

(Botanically, it could actually be Wavy Bittercress - Cardamine flexiosa - I can't tell the difference at this early stage, but in my garden it is more likely to be Hairy, Caradamine hirsuta.)


Here is a tiny, delicate Daffodil, just about to open, with the frost just melting on the spathe.

And finally, here's another weed, so frosted that it appears to be furry!

Well, there you go, that was a quick trip round my front yard with a hand lens this morning: hopefully just a couple more weeks of cold weather and we will be into spring, oh joy!



Did you enjoy this article? Did you find it useful? Would you like me to answer your own, personal, gardening question? Become a Patron - just click here - and support me! Or use the Donate button for a one-off donation. If just 10% of my visitors gave me a pound a month, I'd be able to spend a lot more time answering all the questions!!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, I love the combo of frost and a hint of spring

    ReplyDelete

Comments take 2 days to appear: please be patient. Please note that I do not allow any comments containing links: this is not me being controlling, or suppression of free speech: it is purely to prevent SPAM - I get a continual stream of fake comments with links to horrible things. Trust me, you don't want to read them....